12.9.06

I wasn't going to blog yesterday, feeling i hadn't words nearly as poised or eloquent as the day deserved- then i realized that that would be the easy, cowardly way out. So here it is, a few random thoughts in yesterday's memory and a few questions towards hopeful tomorrow.

I found out on a public bus- riding the 72 up to campus. the couple infront of me was listening to the news on their handheld radio...random words- "world trade center", "terrorist attack", "twin towers" was all i heard (it's hard to eavesdrop on a noisy bus) but i understood that tragedy too had woken early that morning.

Cried a lot that week- for the dead and for the living they had left behind. Yesterday, 5 years later, i was parking my car and on the radio a sweet ballad played interjected with a childs' conversation with the father she had lost- needless to say, i cried again. And 20 years from now, i'll probably cry some more, though i'm not the crying sort- a few tears shed will forever be the small, private memorial that myself and countless others pay to that catastrophic day.

Catastrophic and catalytic- pushing people to fiercely seek out and cling to the notion of a global fraternity, finding our strength in numbers. Any fool can blow up a building, and any fool can rebuild the same, but it took borderless nation of humanity to rebuild the trust in each other we lost that day. I wonder, today- 5 years later- are we there yet?

So my question to you is this: "one world", what does that mean to you- simply, and honestly.

P.S.- viv, it is my deep honor and privilege to be able to call such a courageous and selfless individual as yourself my friend...come home quickly soldier, jai shri krishna.

3 Comments:

Blogger vi5in said...

Very nice post, Sadhu. At most times I am cynical. At most times, I have very little faith in the human race. At most times, I feel we are still ruled by tribal and animalistic notions rather than reason. But sometimes I feel there is more. I guess you could say I am a romantic cynic. As paradoxical as that sounds. Your post made me feel that way. It is not enough times that we think of ourselves as "humans". Instead we give ourselves artificial labels based on ideology, nationality, ethnicity and numerous others. Over the past five years hands reached our across oceans and continents to bridge chasms of distrust. That is something.

Sadhu, I hope you can realize how much support like your's means to a soldier. Thank you very much :) I'll be home soon.

13/9/06 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey viv~
If i ever seemed critical towards you I didn't mean it. Even though I detest and hate the war, thanks for being brave enough to go to the front lines and support our country. If only I was 1/10 as brave. Return safely!!!

13/9/06 11:47 AM  
Blogger Javatini said...

Moving post.. "One world" means to me that I shall always attempt the following no matter what the circumstances:

"I will empathise (if not care for) with every living being on this planet the same way I care for my near and dear ones. "

On a sidenote, noticed how you followed this post with a lighter one, probably to stop yourself from getting overwhelmed with emotion...i donno, jst noticed it i guess.

25/11/06 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home