25.12.06

in phoenix, it's pretty hard to tell it's winter leave alone that it's christmas. no snowmen, no fir trees, no carolers, mittens or ear muffs. There are the few, random, sniffly noses, but they’re hardly noticed in a sea of t-shirts and shorts. What is noticed is that whole “good will towards men” thing- thick and delicious in the air, and of course, all the holiday shopping. Tis’ the season to get a new wardrobe, and a big screen tv, and a larger, more robust, waistline.

I don’t celebrate, or partake- hmm, ok, maybe a little, at least in the waistline growing bit. But, all that aside- my family, while we’re all about the food and cheer and twinkling lights, but not so much into the gift giving.

Well, not till this year. This year I hit a Christmas windfall in blessings and gifts. Yesterday my cousins came in- infact we were only expecting one of them and was totally surprised when they both walked up to the door (more on them later, in fact I think I’ll dedicate an entry or two to introduce my family). And today, for Christmas (?), my mother and grandmother got in from India- with 5 suitcases of treasures from my past in tow.

We have this tradition, whenever someone comes back from a trip- specifically from overseas- they have to unpack the min the last bag is in through the door, with all of us sitting around them, telling us stories and tidbits about their trip as they show us all of the souvenirs and treats they’ve brought back with them. Whenever my parents come back from India, they bring with them the standard abundance of colorful salwar suits, saris, chanya cholis and tasty numkeen (sweets and savories)- all graciously received :). This year, my mother brought with her stories and gifts infinitely more appreciated. We sat there, my family in a loose semicircle around her- watching tv, chatting about the trip, ooohing and aaahhing about all the goodies she had brought us, when she threw me a packet- said it was just for me and to open it.


My baby clothes….my childhood toys, the sheets that covered my crib. Good lord, how had she found all of these? how were they intact? I mean, come on…24 yrs old now, something’s got to give. But there it all was, the little cooking vessels I pretended to make meals with, the little dolls that I fed it all to.

I was touched. Incredibly so- touched that she had kept them all these years, and even more so that she brought them back to me.

So, I’ve got to say- clothes, food, toys, family and friends- it’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas ;) , and that suits me just fine.

4 Comments:

Blogger Javatini said...

Sweet story. Merry Xmas and a Happy new year to you!

28/12/06 6:05 PM  
Blogger vi5in said...

My christmas present was from me to me. It was a car. w00t. It's a chick-picking-up-machine. Indeed. It's even better at it than I.

29/12/06 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya,

It was great to visit! though unfortuantely between your being busy and my being busy and my being sick and your being sick, it's a shame we couldn't hang out more =( but Iti's always always great to spend time w/ you and the fam =)

2/1/07 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cherish those and pass them on to generations to come. :)

11/1/07 6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home